Thursday, February 21, 2013

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

I promised to share my homemade spaghetti (or pizza) sauce recipe on my homemade pizza post.  I guarantee it is delicious!

  • 1 can of whole tomatoes in tomato juice.  No other flavors.  This is important as it'll change the flavor of the sauce in the end.
  • Garlic cloves
  • Basil leaves (fresh or dried)
  • Oregano leaves (fresh or dried)
  • Salt
Optional:
  • Rosemary
  • Cilantro
  • Cooked ground meat

In a sauce pan, heat the oil.   Once the oil is hot, add the peeled garlic cloves and let them brown.  (The smell is delicious!)

Add the tomatoes.  I use Hunt's whole tomatoes for this recipe.  Add salt, basil and oregano leaves to taste.  Let it boil on medium heat for 10 minutes.

Remove from heat, and use a blender to puree your sauce.  I use my handy-dandy handheld blender, which makes this step a breeze.  Be very careful, as the sauce if very hot!


Puree sauce with handheld blender

Return sauce to the stove and let it boil for 5 minutes.  At this point you can add ground meat or what I usually do, homemade meatballs.  Yummy!

I usually buy a big can of Hunt's Whole tomatoes at Costco and make a big batch of sauce. When I do this, I use the whole garlic bulb, cloves peeled, of course.   Then I place it in freezer bags or freezer safe bowls, and freeze for a quick meal on busy days.

This sauce is delicious, thick and so easy to make!  

Thanks for visiting!



No comments:

Post a Comment