Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Kia Faulty Brake Switch




Today was a very hot and stressful day.  My 1 yr. old Kia Sportage Limited did not start!  Just imagine, noon in the parking lot of a busy mall, with a temp of almost 100F degrees... HOT!

Inmediately I called an expert: my husband.  His recomendation?  Call Road asisstance.  LOL... So I did.

When the road asistance guy came in, he inmediately knew what was wrong with my SUV:  the brake switch.  He fumbled around with something under the steering wheel, right on top of the brake area, and voila! The truck started!

Being the way I am, I inmediately Googled "kia sportage 2011 faulty brake switch", and dozens of hits came back.  As it turns out, it is a known issue with Kia and Hyundai cars.  Go figure!  Thank God it is covered under the warranty.  Hopefully when I go to my service appointment on Thursday, I will get my truck back the same day.

Do you have the same issue?  Are you a Kia owner?  Share your experience with me.  Oh, and here's a link to the Kia Forum where I got the info from.  Good luck!



***UPDATE***

I found out that there's a way for you to not get stranded and actually start your Kia... Yes! You can actuallly bypass the break switch and start your car!  Here's what you do:

1. With your Kia OFF,  push the start button once and the yellow light on the switch should light up.
2. Then push and hold the button for 15 seconds till the car starts.

And off you go! Make sure to take it to get serviced though.  You should always take care of anything that has to do with the breaks immediately.  So, now you know!


No comments:

Post a Comment